Before reading on, please make sure you are on the latest firmware for your 103, 105, 203 or 205 device, visit this page: http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/OPPO-Firmware.html
Playing DSD music on your Oppo 103 and 105 via connected USB drive
The Oppo 103 and 105 will play DSD music downloads in the DSD 64fs (single rate DSD) format in both Stereo and Multichannel DSD. To do this, you simply connect a USB Hard Disk with your music downloads to any of the three USB inputs on the Oppo 103 or 105 disc players. (All of the Oppo 103 and 105 series players have 1 USB input on the front panel and two USB inputs on the back panel marked “USB 1” and “USB 2”).
Playing DSD music on your Oppo 103 and 105 via PC 'USB DAC'
In addition, the newer Oppo 105D and Oppo Japan 105JPD models handle both DSD 64fs and DSD 128fs (double rate DSD) music downloads using a different approach. Instead of using one of the three USB inputs on the 105D and 105JPD Oppo players (usable for DSD 64fs only playback), you will connect a computer running music playback software (like JRiver Media Center) to the Digital Audio Input marked “USB DAC”, just like you would on any Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). This enables the Oppo 105D and 105JPD players to play Stereo and Multichannel DSD download files at DSD 64fs or DSD 128fs – opening up even more musical choices to you!
As you can see, the Oppo disc players are a very affordable way to get started with DSD music downloads – and it is often a disc player you already own!
- NativeDSD's Tech Advisor Ted Brady recommends to use JRiver in combination with the Oppo's. Setup and customize in JRiver help can be found here.
- The Oppo 105D indeed supports Stereo DSD 64 and Multichannel DSD 64 via the standard USB ports (type B) on the front and back of the player.
- The 105D also supports Stereo DSD 128, but only through the "USB DAC" port (type A) on the back of the player when it is connected to a computer running music playback software. You can also play DSD files when the 105D is connected to NAS using the latest firmware update from Oppo.
- If you are trying to play Stereo DSD 128 files via the Type B USB ports, that will not work.
Playing DSD on Oppo 203 and 205 via connected USB drive
The Oppo 203 will play DSD64 Stereo and Multichannel, and also DSD128 Stereo as maximum, and only from a USB storage drive connected to the unit.
The Oppo 205 is able to read the DSD 64 Stereo and DSD 64 Multichannel files when copied to a USB drive as well.
The USB drive is inserted into one of the 3 USB connectors of the player. Select MUSIC from the Oppo Home Menu, then select the .DSF music file from the Oppo menu and then press the play button.
Instructions on this part are in the Oppo 205 manual starting at page 39.
Playing DSD on Oppo 203 and 205 via connected computer
- For the Oppo 203/205 to play DSD256, the computer must be Windows and using the included Windows driver native. Otherwise, use the USB DAC driver from Oppo support page. That then gives you the ASIO output driver option in foobar2000.
- A Mac will only allow DoP which the Oppo sees as DSD128 max. So Mac users should play DSD128 files.
Oppo customer support
If you need more help you can also contact Oppo's customer support via: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx?CatID=1